the Goerlitzer Obermarkt and the house Obermarkt 4

Unser Standort

From Neumarkt to Obermarkt – The development of
a historic square


The Görlitz Obermarkt is, alongside the older Untermarkt, one of the two most well-known and defining squares in the Old Town of Görlitz.

In the 13th century, Görlitz extended only as far west as Brüderstraße, around the Schwibbogen and today’s tourist information office. The monastery founded in 1234, whose remaining original structure is the Church of the Holy Trinity, was still outside the city limits at that time.

Back then, Upper Lusatia was part of the Bohemian Kingdom. It was later transferred to the Brandenburg Ascanians after an unfulfilled dowry agreement. From 1254 to 1319, they ruled the region before Görlitz returned to Bohemian control until 1635, after which Upper Lusatia became part of Saxony.

The Ascanians founded a new district called Neustadt. The new square was first known as Neumarkt, and its western part, leading toward the Reichenbacher Tower (first mentioned in 1376), was called Oberneumarkt. From 1717 onward, the entire area became known as Obermarkt.

The city began expanding its fortifications in 1255 and was officially granted town rights in 1303.

Obermarkt as a trading hub along the Via Regia

The square was originally a grain market. Traders entered from the Neisse Bridge via Neißstraße and Brüderstraße, offering their goods in open sacks. Products from the surrounding region were also sold here.

Obermarkt was located on the Via Regia, a major trade route stretching from Kyiv and Kraków to northern Spain. Görlitz was also intersected by a north-south route running from the Baltic Sea through Frankfurt (Oder) to Prague.

Around 1407, a “Salzhaus” (Salt House) was built in the central part of the Obermarkt, serving as both market and dance hall. It was torn down in 1851.

Destruction and rebirth


Görlitz suffered heavily during the Thirty Years’ War, with the city being plundered several times and many buildings on the Obermarkt burning down.

Major city fires were also recorded in the years 1131 (possibly the entire city burned), 1456, 1479, 1506, 1525, 1530, 1537, 1557, 1633, 1641, 1642, 1691, 1717, 1726, 1750, 1759, 1807, 1808, 1813, and 1817.

The fire of 1717 was especially devastating and destroyed most of the houses on the northern side of the Obermarkt, which were later rebuilt in the Baroque style. The southern side remained mostly intact, and buildings such as Obermarkt 3, 5, and 6 retained Renaissance façades until around 1800.

Obermarkt 4 was among the houses burned in 1633 and was rebuilt in 1634. In 1722, it received a Baroque façade, likely as part of modifications that included the addition of a fire gable.

During the Seven Years’ War, the square saw troop movements and tax burdens. In 1745 and 1757, Frederick the Great stayed in Obermarkt 31, and King Frederick Augustus II of Saxony stayed in house no. 29. From that balcony, Napoleon later addressed his troops before the Battle of Bautzen.

Obermarkt between monuments, dictatorship, and democracy

After 1871, the square took on the style of the Gründerzeit era. The last remaining old houses were demolished and replaced with new ones. Shops with large glass windows appeared on the ground floors.

In 1893, an equestrian statue of Emperor Wilhelm I was erected where the Salzhaus once stood. The tram ran along the southern edge of the square, and the Obermarkt became a popular venue for parades and military concerts.

In the 1930s, the square reflected the political climate. Between 1933 and 1938, Jewish business owners were forced to sell their properties at below-market prices. A visible trace from that period is the 1936 redesign of the façade at Obermarkt 15, which remains a historic architectural witness.

In 1939, the square was completely redesigned to accommodate parades. The equestrian statue was moved to Wilhelmplatz, the tramline was closed, and the paving and walkways were updated to their current layout.

Görlitz was largely spared from wartime destruction, but several buildings on the Obermarkt were damaged or destroyed, including no. 24, 30, and 31.

During the GDR period, the Obermarkt was renamed Leninplatz. Houses no. 30 and 31 were rebuilt. The square was the site of major protests during the East German uprising on June 17, 1953, with tens of thousands gathering there.

It was also used as a parking lot, a decision from GDR times to accommodate increasing car ownership – a feature that still shapes the square today.

During the reunification period, Helmut Kohl visited Görlitz on September 27, 1990. Around 25,000 residents gathered to hear him speak on the Obermarkt.

Today, the square is used for major events such as the Altstadtfest and the Christmas market ice rink.

And what about the house at Obermarkt 4?

The house burned in 1633 and was rebuilt the following year. Ceiling beams in the Renaissance apartment show stylistic elements from both the Renaissance and early Baroque periods.
The bathroom and kitchenette in the Biedermeier apartment were once part of the house’s black kitchen.
The stairwell still resembles a hall house structure with staggered levels and a large central arch that may have once been an open gallery.
In 1722, the house was given a Baroque façade. A good impression of its original look can be seen in the neighboring house at Obermarkt 24.

Sippenrelief des Valentin Hirschmann 1513

The house burned in 1633 and was rebuilt the following year. Ceiling beams in the Renaissance apartment show stylistic elements from both the Renaissance and early Baroque periods.
The bathroom and kitchenette in the Biedermeier apartment were once part of the house’s black kitchen.
The stairwell still resembles a hall house structure with staggered levels and a large central arch that may have once been an open gallery.
In 1722, the house was given a Baroque façade. A good impression of its original look can be seen in the neighboring house at Obermarkt 24.

Obermarkt 24

Das Haus Obermarkt 4 (outlined in red) in a sepia drawing by Chr. Nathe from 1800. You can see the Baroque façade, the adjoining double houses Obermarkt 3 and 5, as well as house no. 6, still with its Renaissance façade.

The building had brewing rights and was one of 16 official brewhouses on the Obermarkt until 1841. This privilege was abolished in 1845.
The building was renovated in 1837 and expanded upward in 1847. It received its current neoclassical façade and was converted into a rental and commercial building. The current staircase likely dates to that period as well.

remodeling plan 1847

Photographs show Obermarkt 3 with its Renaissance façade and, behind it to the right, the Baroque façade of Obermarkt 4, with Corinthian pilasters and decorative windows in the first and second floors.
It’s possible the original entrance to the medieval core resembled that of the right section of Obermarkt 3, which features a Gothic portal and a relief of the Holy Family. The ground-floor spaces had Gothic windows and may have included an additional entrance.
During the German Empire, the ground floor housed a metal goods store called “Emil Hermann – Iron, Steel, and Brass.” The business was family-run until the 1970s.

Obermarkt 3 and 4 in the 1960s and 1970s, photos from the building records.

The southern rear building in 1998, photos from the building records.

In 1924, the façade was remodeled and can still be seen in historical photos. In 1978, the city carried out major renovations. The Herrmann family no longer appears as owners – possibly due to expropriations during the GDR's final wave of nationalizations.
The 1978 renovation changed the room layout. The apartments received floor plans close to those used today. The stairwell gained its current railing and character.
After reunification, the house was renovated again in 1997. The commercial façade and entrance were redesigned, and the current layout of mainly one-room apartments was established. In 1998, the rear building was demolished. In 2009, the western outbuildings were also removed, leaving only a boundary wall.
In December 2022, a major water leak went unnoticed for some time and caused structural risk. Most of the tenants had to move out. During the necessary restoration, major construction flaws from the 1997 renovation were revealed and had to be fixed as part of the 2024/25 works.
In its own way, the building reflects the layered history and transformation of Görlitz.
It may not be a textbook monument, but it stands as a genuine witness to the changes this city has experienced.